Life Lessons From Yours Truly

So it’s almost halfway through my junior year of college and I’m starting to realize that time really does go by quickly. As cliché as it may sound, I remember coming to orientation at St. Ed’s like it was yesterday. Now, I’m only a few days away from turning 21 and a few months away from being a senior. I guess I’ve learned a few things here and there from all these classes…just kidding, I’ve learned a lot but I’d like to focus on the life lessons I’ve learned while being in college. Warning: this might be the cheesiest, most sentimental post ever so if you’re not in to that kind of stuff just stop here.

One thing I have to constantly tell myself is that I’m here to get an education. I’m not here to impress anyone. I’m just here better prepare myself for the future. Telling myself this shifts my focus from little annoyances to doing my school work. It’s also my motivation to get that 4.0 I have been trying so hard for.

I’ve also learned ways to make myself a better person in general. Whenever I find myself in a stressful situation, whether it’s with school, my family, or my friends, I just tell myself that everything is going to be okay. Saying those 6 words to yourself may sound a little crazy but it definitely helps. If you have a positive attitude, you’re going to get a positive outcome. ALWAYS focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses. Although it is hard to find positivity in a pool of negativity, it is possible. Determination and motivation are key. I’m too blessed to be stressed and so are you. 

Another lesson I have learned is that other people’s opinions of you really should not matter. I wish I would have learned this a lot sooner like in high school…I would have saved myself from a lot of anxiety over things that don’t even matter any more. If people are going to judge you by your clothes or your material possessions, they are definitely not worth your time. They only see you as what you have, not who you are. If you go through life trying to impress others, you are never going to be satisfied and neither are they, so just save yourself the time and make yourself happy, that’s what truly matters. When you find people who truly like you for who you are, you’ll definitely know it. Keep those people around. They’re good for your soul.

I could honestly go on for a while but I’ll keep it short. Maybe I’ll do a part two. You can definitely count on me rereading this post in my times of need. With that said, I’d like to leave you with a quote. It’s one of my favorites and will stick in my heart forever.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

<3

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.