Thursday, September 6th, 2012...10:43 pm

I’m breaking up with NPR

Jump to Comments

NPR recently published a story about organic food, and for the first time in a long time (or perhaps ever) I disagreed with the news organization that I trust above all others. In fact, I’m so utterly upset with their coverage that I might even call this the beginning of a break-up.

Here’s why. The writers talked to experts that claim organic food may not necessarily be healthier for you, and that you may not be getting the best bang for your buck if you’re buying organic veggies simply because you think it’s more nutritious. Ok, they’re probably right about that. But they missed several dozen other benefits that organic produce supports.

First off, organic produce comes from more sustainable farming practices. Farmers use less pesticides and herbicides–or none at all–which are chemicals that are unnatural and are also petroleum-based industries. These chemicals stick around in the environment way longer than they should, contaminate water supplies when run-off from farms spills into nearby rivers, streams, and lakes, and can also pose threats to human health. Then we have to treat our water to get rid of these chemicals and use even more resources and fossil fuels to do so. Furthermore, studies have shown that petroleum-based substances can be carcinogens and are also linked to autism and ADHD. When I learn how to make graphics I’ll make one to show how horrible this herbicide/pesticide cycle is.

Quite honestly, organic produce tastes better. It’s healthier for the land. There are numerous other reasons why organic farming is a far better practice than not, and I’ll be sure to add on to this post later. It’s late. I’m upset with NPR, they should know better than to spout off horrible stories like this that could potentially influence people to NOT buy organic produce, continue supporting unsustainable farming practices that are crippling our planet into drought-ladden oblivion, and just all-in-all giving terrible advice. They used to be my number one but not so much any more. FOX, here I come. Just kidding.