If you’re looking for a good time…

go to the highball on S. Lamar. Packed with 8 vintage bowling lanes, 7 uniquely decorated karaoke rooms, and a dance floor to get jiggy wit it, it’s an adults playground. The best thing about The Highball is definitely the decor and general atmosphere. Or maybe its the old-school bowling, I can’t decide. Maybe for you it’d be to sing karaoke with your drunk colleagues, participate in pub trivia (geeks who drink), toss back a tasty cocktail before you go see a movie next door at the Drafthouse, or hell just mingle with people. The drinks and food set the standard. For me, the Dr. Pepper glazed ribs left quite the impression. But, I recently read that they were voted as having some of the best fried chicken in the nation. I repeat, the Highball is tons of fun! But, if you are wanting to bowl, make sure and book a lane way in advance. I have tried to walk in with a group of friends a lot of times and there are never any lanes open no matter what the day of the week it is. Highball is also a great place to watch bands. One of the best jazz/fusion bands in town, Black Red Black, has residency on Wednesday nights. They’re definitely worth checking out. They’re the cream of the crop. Ex-members of Mumford & sons, compounded with professors of Jazz at UT make for a great combo. Like I said, it’s heaven for the 21+ group with a little bit of spare change to blow. Average cocktail’s will run you about $7-10. Happy hour is definitely the time to go though: free karaoke rooms, $20/ hr bowling by lane, and pretty damn good drink specials. Maybe I’m biased because I live across the street, so I’m what you’d call a regular. They’re closing for remodeling in less than 3 weeks, so get a sitter, and enjoy your wife’s company while it lasts.

ps. my girlfriend and I are good company if ya’ll would like to grab a drink sometime

One thought on “If you’re looking for a good time…