“Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand”

As usual, the last few days have been fantastic, but wow, I can’t believe that Sommerschule is nearly over! While the first week was very tough and seemed to take forever, since then it’s been extremely fast-paced. Last night was “TalentAbend”, the annual Deutsche Sommerschule talent show. As talent shows normally do, this one prompted most students to declare that they are “talentless.” So our B1 teacher told us that if we made a routine for TalentAbend, we wouldn’t have to write our last essay. That’s a fantastic deal, considering essays are just about the worst part of the Sommerschule. For B1 students, it means we have to write a coherent report of a lecture that we usually understand only a little, using proper grammar and correct vocabulary. We were very motivated to do something! But what? Well, apparently the Beatles recorded two songs in German: “Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand” (Come give me your hand, or “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”) and “Sie Liebt Dich” (She Loves You). They were very popular in Hamburg before the US or England, so it was a really nice gesture  to record two of their hits in German for their German fans. And what better for TalentAbend than the Beatles auf Deutsch? There were four of us, all girls, and we thought a sing-along would be fun: we’d play a YouTube video of the song with lyrics and sing it with everyone. We cut out paper guitars; a Höfner bass for our “Paul,” paper drumsticks for “Ringo,” and an acoustic guitar for “George.” There’s only one guitar at the sommerschule that I know of, and it belongs to my roommate, Amanda. I borrowed that and played along with the recording while singing. I never sing and play at the same time, and I also learned all of it in 1 day, so I’d say that counts as talent. It was just as much fun to make the props and practice as it was to perform at TalentAbend, and it all turned out well. Everyone sang along and as far as I know, everyone liked it! Good job, B1!  I also have a new song; the Beatles are just as good in German, though admittedly a little grammatically worse (not much.) Here’s the recording; also check out “Sie Liebt Dich.” Just….don’t watch “Get Back” in German. Or do. It’s hilarious!

How could the Beatles even get more amazing?

This entry was posted in Taos. Bookmark the permalink.