Immersion programs: both tiring and confusing!

Is it really only 3:00? This first full day has been an exhausting one. I had no idea just how tiring it is to constantly try to understand others speaking a foreign language all day, and then to formulate answers that are somewhat coherent. During the first part of the day I was energetic and trying to learn new ways to speak. I took a written and a spoken placement test too. Now, I can barely understand anything that is being said and have reduced my questions to “gut oder schlecht?” (basically, asking whether something is good or bad.) That’s hardly a way to get through advising! There was a session which lasted over an hour, during which the professors explained what the courses are like and what the material is. I think there must be some limit to what someone can absorb from a foreign language before they stop understanding anything at all, because about halfway through I wasn’t following anything anymore. When it came time for registration, I actually left the building after asking if I’d picked a good course because I had absolutely no idea what was going on–I nearly missed the official registration! Even then, I couldn’t figure out whether I should register for 6 or 7 hours because I couldn’t formulate the question in my mind, or explain how the St. Edward’s transfer system works. In any case, if St. Edward’s will accept my 6 hours it will probably be better, since I cannot understand the language well enough for registration! I only hope I get used to this and gain some energy because this is “sehr schwierig.” A little silver lining: I have new respect for people who move to countries where they don’t speak the language, and learn it by immersion. It’s more difficult than I could have ever imagined–lack of conversation isn’t so bad, but it is very strange to not be able to ask sufficient questions.

Also: I went hiking today with some friends, and when I have more free time, I will post the pictures!

This entry was posted in Taos. Bookmark the permalink.