Locating Place: Book

This book was created to expand on the idea of gentrification. I wanted to compare and contrast this idea of new versus old through an interactive coloring book. The first part of this project was to go out and explore East Cesar Chavez. Then we were to go out a second time and take many photographs of a given area that was selected on a first come first serve. After gathering our photos we dropped them into box and the next assignment was to go out and explore the area once more only this time to keep in mind what kind of publication we wanted to showcase this given area. The art around East Cesar Chavez really stuck out to me because before this project I had not been around this area in awhile. Being born and raised here in Austin I grew up playing sports and there is a baseball field not too far from East Cesar Chavez and we would from time to time pass through here and as I returned to this area for this project I was really surprised as to how drastically the area and buildings around the area had changed. There seemed to be a lot more businesses and this new wave of a creative class taking over this general area. So I split my book up into two sections which again was this idea of new versus old. I gathered all my images and made sure to photograph a good chunk of business that had been there longer and those businesses who were new to the area and re-drew them using the wacom tablet in illustrator. Although re-creating the images was a long process I was really impressed with the outcome of my book.

Book Cover Old: East First Old Building Art Raquel's Juan In A Million Alterations East 1st Grocery New: East Cesar Chavez New ImagesBig Red Sun Rural Rooster IMG_8417 IMG_8414