Visu 1100: Extra Blog #1

Ahmad Hill
10.10.16
Visu Seminar 1100

4 Things I learned from Oen Michael Hammonds

Last week when we had a guest lecture from Mr. Hammonds, I was really shocked to actually be interested in what he had to say. He first started off saying he was a graphic designer and he worked for IBM, two things that immediately bored me. I said my silent prayer and hoped I didn’t fall asleep in the front row. Then he began telling his story about his journey and how he made it to IBM and the impact the company had on him once he got there. Then I was really interested. For whatever reason, I found his powerpoint to be really engaging that day. I remember 4 things he said that just kind of stuck with me and something I thought that more people should know.

1. Do what will enhance you now.

Mr. Hammonds said that often times we are planning to far ahead in the future. We are constantly trying to make moves to set us up for later. Always looking ahead. That’s not a bad thing, but we often times just want that end product. We just want the big salary. We just want to graduate from school. We just want to be that superstar. Yet nobody takes time to enjoy the process of becoming great. Nobody wants to look at what they have around them now and do what will make them better for the short term. We have the huge dreams and goals, but we have to start somewhere. It doesn’t just come out of thin air.

2. Seek to be essential.

Another point that Mr. Hammonds said was that he never once got too good to do anything. He always enjoy the craft and being hands on with his projects. He wanted to actually do the work, not just manage and tell people what to do. He stayed curious and in tune with his imagination. That’s something important, because that is what got him to the position he’s at. That curiosity and urge to want to create. That same curiosity also makes him irreplaceable in his current role. He’s never seeking to plateau and just be comfortable where he is at. By talking about his experiences, he motivated me to be open to try new stuff. You never know when you are going to need that random skill or experience to relate to a team member or even help you solve another problem.

3. Forget validation, be curious.

In this age of social media, Mr. Hammonds said it’s not about the amount of likes, clicks, or shares that you get. That’s the wrong league of competition that so many people are so eager to thrust themselves in. He pushed for people to create something that you are proud of and want to show to the world because you like it. Don’t look or wait around for them to tell you that your product is good.

4. Network. Network. Network.

There are so many opportunities when it comes to meeting and collaborating with people. You might not be a good photographer, but you can meet someone that is. Then that leads to y’all creating something better together, than you could separately. This will take your weaknesses and turn them into something that isn’t as glaring or upsetting. Don’t underestimate the power of a genuine human connection.