VISU1311: Creativity Blog #3.

Amy Tan’s TED talk was chaotic and so hard to follow. She talked fast and consistent, only pausing when she stumbled on her words. Her talk felt sporadic and scattered, yet I think that was the point. Her talk was not was it was about, but to show how creative people think. I think her point was to give a glimpse of her creative process and the way her mind operates. That’s all I really got from it. I did not understand most of what she was talking about. I didn’t see how her ideas connected to each other. It’s hard for me to say what message she want to get across besides showing her audience just how complicated being creative is.

Stan Brakhage’s Stellar was even more confusing than Amy Tan’s TED talk. I really liked the colors, but I have no idea what I watching. I think I could make out some faces, but things were moving so far that I’m not too sure. I felt like it was moving through something. Maybe like a tube with holes poke all around, so you can only partially see the surrounding environment. It’s a pretty trippy video.

The inspirations for the spoon song are incredible. Dr. Dre & Marvin Gay stuck out to me simply because I grew up listening to their music. The way that the music from the other artists inspired this song is crazy. When you first listen to it, you’d have no idea that the way they created this song was inspired by music that doesn’t sound the same or really even feel the same. It’s different and cool to see the many ways the same type of music can be interpreted or provide inspiration to create new music.