Blog Post #6

SKILLS INVENTORY

1. My greatest strengths in Intro to Philosophy include: writing assignments, my grades are strong in this class.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: review notes after class to ensure a more full understanding of the topics covered.
  1. My greatest strengths in VISU I include: developing a concept for projects.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: spend more time on assignments, complete more thoughtfully.
  1. My greatest strengths in Foundations include: my craft in completing assignments, time management.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: read the articles more thoroughly.
  1. My greatest strengths in Painting I include: being bold in decisions, recognizing errors.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: spend more time outside class practicing painting techniques (basically, don’t be afraid to “waste” paint.)
  1. My greatest strengths in VISU 1100 include: actively listening / taking notes in class, putting thought / effort into class assignments (and finding meaning in the work).
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: continue to self-reflect of my own volition–continue looking for / researching artists that inspire me, as well.
  1. My greatest strengths in American Dilemmas include: class participation, communication with my professor in/out of the classroom.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: complete assignments in a quieter environment (i.e. not with my friends Justin or Kenda, who just want to talk the entire time………) to finish in a timely manner.

Computer skills:

1. My computer skills include: Adobe Creative Suite, Mac OS X
  2. I still need to learn: I’d like to improve my Photoshop caliber, and learn more about video programs (such as Maya).

Research & writing skills:

1. My greatest strengths as a researcher/writer include: developing a thesis, laying out a clear structure in which to fill in information.
  2. I need to work on these aspects of research and writing: not getting so obsessed with the layout, focusing more on content.
  3. I learn best & accomplish most when: I am in an environment with some background noise (i.e. with music playing, a distant TV on, others present–but working also! Not with J or K!) during the morning / early afternoon.

ACTION PLAN

Visual Studies I

1. Rather than being discouraged at own work in comparison to others, allow comparison to inspire you to continue learning / growing.

2. Spend more time developing own style / aesthetic.

3. Don’t rush through assignments.

4. Don’t beat yourself up about “not finishing quickly enough.”

5. PRINT THE NIGHT BEFORE, LEXI.

6. Start on assignments the day they are assigned.

7. Communicate better with Bill / Tuan when confused on what’s wanted in an assignment.

8. Rework projects rather than just submitting the first one.

9. Remember to incorporate a balance of variety / unity to avoid chaotic projects.

10. Get inspired by others via Pinterest, artist websites, to help guide themes as you develop your own.