Blog Post #5

The goal of this assignment was to create a linear, non-representational and non-functional sculpture inspired by a series of blind-contour drawings done in class. This sculpture was phase 02 of my Line Inventory Project (in Foundations with Alex). I went about this challenge by cutting up the cardboard back of an old drawing pad and adhering the strips together with strips of tape and black yarn.

The strongest aspect of this work was my ability to create a piece that was interesting from 360 degrees. This sculpture can be tossed in any direction, and will still appear different and eye-catching. The weakest aspect was my choice in washi tape for the final product, as it was not very sticky and I often had to re-wrap sections. Underneath, the piece is held together with a strong white painter’s tape. This form could be improved with a stronger choice in tape for a final layer (rather than the washi), and then perhaps painting the tape a glossy black. Conceptually, I could have considered why I chose yarn and glossy tape to contrast with the matte brown cardboard. Technically, I could have used a hot glue gun to better attach, and then cover with a different type of tape.

IMG_0018For this assignment (Visual Studies I with Tuan and Bill), I had to create a three-dimensional collage from photos I took on S Congress that demonstrated my view of this area of Austin. I went about this goal by taking a black and white image of a flyer-laden street post I’d taken, painting over it with red and yellow watercolors, cutting the painted image into strips, and rearranging hastily onto a piece of bristol as a support. I wanted to recreate the effect of old ripped posters on a street post (much like the image of posters on a street post), a sight common to S Congress (and most of Austin).

I think the strongest aspect of this work is the contrast in color, from harsh blacks to soft reddish-pinks. It makes the photo appear to be an eye-catching (yet faded) old poster. I think the weakest aspect is the backing. Looking back, it would be more interesting on something with a bit more texture (as old street posts have). Conceptually, I could perhaps have done a series of these, featuring different images (and color schemes) of poles in Austin. Technically, I would also have used less water in the paint, as it made it difficult to adhere. Overall, I wanted the work to be faded and rough, as if it had seen many days stapled to the street post.