Mid-Term Assessment Essay

1 Where are you in your hours that you declared earlier in the semester? Looking at your work now, are your current accumulated hours enough?

Looking at the hours I declared at the beginning of the semester I feel like my hours have not been consistent. Consistency and having more of a schedule to work on my design is a goal I have definitely set for myself. Looking at my work now it has required a lot more hours due to the complexity of the assignments but I still feel like it is not enough. I do think my work shows more time put into it and more work done overall but I know I could do more and create more which has been something I have been trying to make real lately. I want to just experiment more and create visuals so I can have more of a collection of work from which I could pull from when I need inspiration.

2 Has your definition of “sophisticated” work changed from last semester? If so, how so? What is sophisticated in your weather report?

In my last semester blog post I described sophistication as “the work is intentional and very well thought out”.  I still agree with this statement, I believe that sophisticated work to be considered sophisticated has to have a certain degree of cleanness and complexity. I believe that in my weather report the sophisticated aspect if within my typeface choices and the shape style. I would consider it to be very simple and consistent throughout the whole video.

3 Describe how the new things you’ve learned so far connect to what you already had coming into the semester.

The new things that I have learned so far connected with my prior knowledge in a way that it makes me pay even more attention to detail. It has made me understand that even nonverbal things such as movement have their own language. The new things I’ve learned adds on to my understanding of typefaces and how they can be even further manipulated based on the characteristics we give them.

4 What are somethings you are still unsure about in this project that you would like to know more about?

I am sure about my knowledge of how to use and complete a project in after effects now but the part I am unsure of is how to make a more sophisticated and basically just a cooler looking video. There are so many effects I saw my classmates use or others that I saw online that I have no idea as to how they came about in after effects. I feel this is just a matter of experimenting and playing around with the software more. I am unsure of some of the technicalities but I understood the concept of text in motion and the visuals in motion well.

5 Assign a level of value to this project. Identify two other projects in your creative life and place this weather report relative to them. How close or far are they from one another? What qualities did each project have that the other’s didn’t that would rate them higher/lower?

I think that this project is very valuable to be because it is one of my first After Effects projects. It shows I have the knowledge to work the program so it is considered valuable in a portfolio aspect as of right now. Two other projects I’ve created would be my logo project and my Zine book. Relative to each other I don’t think they are that far from one another. The projects were all individually different and required their own techniques and processes. My logo project was more minimalistic and representative making it very clear and simple, while the zine was more focused on the message being projected and the construction of the original typeface and image so this made the Zine very layered and complex.

6 Break down the percentages of what entities that create growth within the creative you. Am I part of it? Part of it is on you, right? Do you consider your classmates/friends as influencers on the course of your trajectory for success? At the end of the semester you will be evaluating me, but right now within your own pie piece, how much have you brought to the game? How did it end up that you brought that much?

I think I make up about 40 percent of my own creative growth. Simply because of how much control I have concerning what I do or create or what I don’t do or don’t create. 30 percent I believe would come from professors or authority figures. 10 percent from classmates and 20 percent from what I observe online and other artists.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.