VISU 1311 Project #1: Adriance_Rhoades

To answer the question “How do you make and image?”, my answer is simply that you must think about the image before you make it. What am I implying when I say to think about the image when making them? I am implying that you are considering the principles of Gestalt while you are taking the images. The most notorious artworks were carefully thought out during the process of their creation. However, with photography most images are created in a shorter period of time, so you must use critical thinking more quickly. You cannot just snap a photo, you should contemplate multiple aspects of the photo such as framing, distance, background, subject and etc. These aspects are essentially the Gestalt principles, so you are constantly making decisions based on the principles of Gestalt when taking photos.

I chose to photograph trash in order to demonstrate that by using the principles of Gestalt you can turn an unappealing subject into a more interesting one. This required me to really contemplate the Gestalt principles when taking the images. The trash was photographed just as it was left in order to show consistency and make the project more challenging.

Adriance Rhoades Gestalt Project 1 of 5
Adriance Rhoades
Gestalt Project 1 of 5

In my first image, I am displaying the application of the closure principle by having the viewer complete the form of the paper article in their mind. By cutting off the paper article in the image, this allows the viewer to finish the form themselves.

Adriance Rhoades  Gestalt Project 2 of 5
Adriance Rhoades
  Gestalt Project 2 of 5

The leaves framing the cup within them represents the principle of containment, in which they appear to be a unified image.

Adriance Rhoades Gestalt Project 3 of 5
Adriance Rhoades
Gestalt Project 3 of 5

The closeness to the ice cream cone and low aperture in this photograph is expressing the principle of proximity, because through proximity the subject is disassociated from its surroundings and becomes the sole focus of the image.

Adriance Rhoades Gestalt Project 4 of 5
Adriance Rhoades
Gestalt Project 4 of 5

This photograph illustrates the utilization of the principle of repetition due to the recurrent element of the green leaves. However, this photograph has an interruption in the repetition from the presence of the cup which gives a unique approach to this principle.

Adriance Rhoades Gestalt Principle 5 of 5
Adriance Rhoades
Gestalt Principle 5 of 5

The shadows in this photograph lead the viewer eyes to the sock which is employing the use of the continuity principle. This principle creates a connection between the shadows and the sock in order to grab the attention of the viewer.

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 9.31.09 PM

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 9.24.37 PM

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 9.17.39 PM

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.