Reading Journal 2

I tend to make decisions by reflecting on what would benefit me most at the next step. I also don’t make any decisions that don’t sit well in my gut. I like to believe that I make decisions based in substantial things but then again I will also make very on-the-fly decisions if I sense it could bring about artistic adventure, which I take as a learning opportunity. I can tell that something is working if I find myself in conversation with the piece of art. Even if it’s “What the hell are you?” as long as I feel engaged in the work. I know something isn’t working when I stare at it blankly and feel no emotion towards it aside from “I have got to get this thing done”. The readings tend to talk about other people reacting to and experiencing your art but for me I am much more concerned with getting my feelings and voice out. Artists approach decision making with concern for aesthetics as well as function along with consideration of the politics behind the situation being dealt with. When I’m stuck reworking a project I tend to look for inspirations in nature most but I also really find inspiration in the designs and architecture of other cultures so I can broaden my conception of what my art is trying to convey.