Project Blog 4

photo-5_34_05-pm

I learned a lot through this project. Crime was a topic that I never bothered to delve into very deeply. Instead when I thought of crime I thought of the news and murders and severe cases of crime. However, crime is much more complex than murder. Crime consists of theft, vandalism, drinking and driving, and etc. This project allowed me to see what the main crimes in Austin are and how we could lessen the total amount of these crimes. Through my interview I learned that drinking and driving is one of the most prevalent crimes in Austin, and that a way to decrease the commonality of this crime is to uphold the laws that are in place. Most of the people interviewed by my group agreed that the best way to eliminate the large amount of crimes in Austin to make sure that there is always a fair trial, that laws are enforced, and a bigger budget for training officers. If we have more officers with good training then it will be easier to enforce the laws. When officers are in a limited quantity that makes officers decide which crime is more prevalent and needs to be watched/regulated. I had a great time learning about crime. It’s definitely changed how I perceive crime and it also helped me see that I may want to pursue a career in law.