Co-Curricular Events Log with Reasoning Why I Could Not Make Four(Baseball)

Co-curricular events: Students Participation Log

Students are expected to attend a minimum of four co-curricular events during the semester. These events may include film screenings, field trips, speakers, etc. The purpose of the events is to build community and continue a rich exploration of wicked problems in Austin. Some of these are events will be mandatory, others will be optional. A calendar of these events will be updated on the seminar canvas page. A written reflection from each of these events serves as evidence of your participation.

Use this form to document your participation. You will need to upload this form at the end of the course.

Event 1: Kelsey Timmerman Lecture at RCC

Date: October 3rd, 2016

Reflection on experience:

This event was a great time for me to get to see the different ideas that Kelsey Timmerman had behind the creation of his multiple works, including Where Am I Wearing? and Where Am I Eating?, which allowed for me to get his realistic stories in his own words. This gave me a more personal outlook on the actual occurrences and what they meant to Timmerman. Also, I got to talk to Timmerman and get my book signed, which allowed for me to ask him about studying abroad and how to make an impact that way. His feedback was extremely valuable, as it gave me a different outlook on what to look for in studying abroad. I appreciate his visit, as it put a face/personality to the voice I had read from.

Event 2: Mouthful Play

Date: November 15th, 2016

Reflection on experience:

Mouthful was a well put together play with multiple scenarios throughout. The different extremes that they developed throughout the play were admirable, from the government going against any organic crops to water rationing and having people wait in line for days to get water, sacrificing anything and everything they had. It gave a strong image for what society could become if an extreme event is to occur and the environment takes a hit. I enjoyed the seriousness it created with each skit, and thought it was correlative with what I expected.

I was only able to make it to two WiP LLC Co-Curricular events this semester, and this was due to my tedious fall baseball schedule. As I am an athlete, I had a busy schedule not only during the weeks, but also on the weekend. For the Dia De Los Muertos Festival, which was on a Saturday, the SEU Baseball team had the alumni game during the same time that the festival was going on, therefore I could not make the event. During the different panels, like the Sexual Violence panel, I was not able to make it because I had a meeting for the baseball team for an hour that evening that interfered with the timing. Earlier on that day, October 26th, 2016, I had individual practice, which is required, for our baseball team, and I could go to the Fusion Discussion. These are only three events, but the rest also conflicted with my schedule and did not allow for me to go to the LLC Co-Curricular events, therefore I had to settle with the two I was able to complete. Dr. Fletcher and I talked about this, and he said I just needed to explain myself as to why I could not make it, so here is my response.