Creativity and Making: Hans Richter

Another one of these films… something that seems extremely obscure and as if it has no specified purpose. Something with no context or telling aspects that allow the viewer to understand anything that is taking place. This film depicts multiple white and grey rectangles growing and disappearing, sliding and blinking across a black background for 3 whole minutes. If I had to make an educated guess, this film was probably very evolutionary for it’s time, seeing as though films and movies, even just cameras themselves, were fairly new in the 1920’s. I think that the artist is not doing much more than just displaying his new found abilities with the technology. I’m sure that to an audience member of his time, the transitions and effects were all very exciting, however, even then, I don’t think it had a specific meaning or concept. That’s not to say that every piece of art has to have a deep meaning or function, but if not background, context, function nor message, and technically no designated aesthetic, is it even art? Maybe someone else can watch this film and find it exhilarating but I just don’t find that to be likely. I’m going to be really honest, I don’t even know how to write a more in depth reflection over what I just watched because I don’t see much of anything in it. I thought the Stan Brakhage videos bored me but at least those had color.