Blog Post 1: Artist Entrepreneurs

What are the main points of each article?

These articles describes traits that most creative people tend to have or need to utilize. Traits such as the ability to think within and outside of specific constraints, the implicit knowledge to construct innovative concepts, and the inspiration to offer something bigger than technical based assets.

What can artists learn from their “entrepreneurial cousins”?

Artists can use “entrepreneurial cousins” to gain connections and influences that can improve their craft and take them farther in their career. In addition to the advantages of utilizing helpful resources, artists can also gain knowledge on experiences that are vital to becoming a business person in the field of art.

Do you agree that artists are entrepreneurs? why?

I do think that artists are entrepreneurs, it takes a certain skill set to be able to market artistic ability in a fashion that makes you seem more valuable than any other regular artist. In a competitive field where each person contains a basic level of art understanding but has to add their own un-replicable twist, rather than just being good at what they do, there is a challenge among the need for originality and artists need to be able to sell themselves and their style. However, work should be applicable to any kind of commissioned creation in order to please the patron.

Which of the 12 characteristics of artists do you agree with?

I agree with many of them, especially #11 which suggests that art is a lifestyle rather than a job or hobby, and ideas vis creation should involve passion or else they are not the right idea. This is something I’ve personally struggled with, is managing to balance my own desire to create vs. the need to create by means of a career which, in most cases, are jobs that include constraints and requirements.

What others would you add to the list?

I might argue that artists need to struggle in order to create at their full capacity. I’ve recently come to the theory that having some kind of traumatic or even just mind blowing life experience brings more inspiration than can be artificially forced in the mind. That’s not to say that artists who have happy, comfortable lives can’t be talented, or that I wish some kind of distressing event on my own life or anyone else’s, however, it’s come to my attention that most people find inspiration and are forced out of their comfort zones through some kind of life lesson. The more life experience you have, the more “street smart” you become, and likewise with more life trials, the more become aware of and open to new ideas in handling challenges. This can usually be applicable to art and creation in the way that people must be forced out of a comfort zone or attempt new ways of problem solving to find themselves or their artistic style in their exposure.

Grit Test

Do you have grit, or is this something you need to work on?

My score is a 2.13 and I am “grittier than (only) 1% of the US Population,” so I’d say I probably have some stuff to work on… but seeing as though I’m submitting this assignment about 5 weeks late, I think you already knew that.

List a couple of things you could do to increase your level of grit.

I think my main issue is that I struggle with attention deficiency and I get overwhelmed extremely easily. I am really diligent about making to do lists and very specific plans, but when it comes to execution, I don’t usually follow through as strongly. To be honest, if I knew what I could do to improve my determination and persistence, I wouldn’t be such a pos right now. I know that I struggle with keeping track of important events and keeping organized, so I make tons of lists, only to not follow them, push them to other days, skip points that take too much time or throw them away before I’ve completed all my tasks. Then once things start to pile up, I get so scared to have to spend an extended amount of time stressing and fixing all my mistakes, that I push it off until I absolutely can’t any longer.