Write From The Heart

"Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back."

Visual Studies Seminar Post #6: Skills Inventory & Action Plan

October20

Part 1: Skills Inventory By Class (Excluding LLC seminar courses)

Rhetoric & Composition

My greatest strengths in Rhetoric & Composition include: Concise writing style and ability to analyze, compare, and contrast.
For greater success in this course, I need to: Be more dedicated to the readings in class and avoid procrastinating on essays.

My computer skills include: Extended knowledge of Microsoft Word and Google Docs’ functions, such as accents.
I still need to learn: Lesser known shortcuts in Word and Docs.

My greatest strengths as a researcher/writer include: Synthesizing information from research into real world issues.
I need to work on these aspects of research and writing: Finding academic journals and learning to condense my writing by using less jargon.
I learn best & accomplish most when: I’m invested in my topic and find a plethora of new information from articles.

Printed Page & Silver Screen

My greatest strengths in Printed Page & Silver Screen include: My attentiveness while watching film, observation skills, and ability to deeply analyze a scene.
For greater success in this course, I need to: Articulate my analysis more clearly and include deeper observations.

My computer skills include: *same as rhet/comp*
I still need to learn: *same as rhet/comp*

My greatest strengths as a writer include: Ability to connect themes of literature and movies to scenes or characters introduced in the story.
I need to work on these aspects of writing: Going into more depth when discussing analysis of formal elements, such as shot composition.
I learn best & accomplish most when: I think about the overall meaning of the story for longer and clearly connect elements of the media to established theories.

History of Games

My greatest strengths in History of Games include: Ability to relate events in game development history among time.
For greater success in this course, I need to: Remember names of iconic figures and/or significant games.

My greatest strengths as a writer include: Ability to remember events and their significance within video game history.
I need to work on these aspects of writing: Synthesize historical events to motivations of the developers.
I learn best & accomplish most when: I get to hear about the video game business from the actual people that made the market, either in quotes or in-person.

Visual Studies

My greatest strengths in Visual Studies include: Application of art composition and color theory.
For greater success in this course, I need to: Dedicate more time to fine-tuning my pieces and creating new ones.

My computer skills include: Knowledge of Photoshop’s features.
I still need to learn: Other major image editing software and how to properly print certain materials.

My greatest strengths as a researcher include: My curiosity into experimenting with image editing software and with colors in my work.
I need to work on these aspects of research: Learning the differences between printing settings and remembering which ones to use.
I learn best & accomplish most when: I’m passionate about my art and working without procrastination towards editing my pieces.

Public Speaking

My greatest strengths in Public Speaking include: My animated, natural speaking voice and articulation.
For greater success in this course, I need to: Practice my speeches more often.

My greatest strengths as a speaker/writer include: My ability to speak with clarity and personality and to provide introspective speech content.
I need to work on these aspects of speaking and writing: The natural delivery of my gestures and lessening my pauses.
I learn best & accomplish most when: I have ample time to plan my speech’s high points.

Part 2: Action Plan for Rhetoric & Composition

1. Spend more time researching my source material.
  2. Study academic writing with more dedication.
  3. Stop procrastinating on my papers for this class.
  4. Pay more attention to MLA citation rules.
  5. Spend more time proofing my essay.
  6. Highlight quotes in the source so I won’t lose the page number.
  7. Synthesize sources among each other instead of in isolation.
  8. Use less summary and create more analysis.
  9. Learn to take a less opinionated point of view.
  10. Learn to use Google Scholar more often.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: