Portfolio Review

14800852_10209741118477067_676010348_n 14825667_10209741118517068_2010090668_n

Artist Statement:

Teachers and parents talk about how it is important to be an individual and being different is good. But when I see people in their cliques and niches, I don’t see a difference between them, they look like copies of each other. Growing up with kids who were very similar to each other has fueled my interest in what makes us different from one another. My works are based on interests that have shape who I am, how I can separate myself from everybody else, and the idea of what makes us individuals.

Through these different mediums, techniques, and project concepts I have explored my own passions and I am learning where I stand with my relationship to art and how it is shaping me. Although I am a novice right now, I aim to find the kind of artist I want to be through this exploration of identity.

Discussion Questions:

What motivates you to make art?

My interest in my identity and exploring what kind of artist I will be motivates me to try other techniques and styles of art. A lot of times my motivation to make art is low because I am afraid of not knowing how to do something or I think that I am way in over my head.

How do you use color, space, form, and other dynamics in your work?

Most often I simplify the details within my pieces. I use colors that I like and that I think will work the best with the concept or still life, even if it’s a bit off.

How do you view your craftsmanship?

I try to be a perfectionist and I think it hurts my craftsmanship sometimes. I work really hard to make it look the best, but because I tend focused on fixing one part the other parts become loose due to limited time on projects.

What do you consider to be your strengths?

I think my strengths are in drawing and problem solving. I am also often dedicated to my concepts for pieces once I have decided what to do.

Are there skills you feel need further development?

I need to develop my creativity and work on finding my style as an artist. I also need to work on my problem solving skills and being less hard on myself.

How does your work relate to art historical precedents and contemporary trends?

I am inspired by the aesthetic movement and their idea of “art for art’s sake”. Most of the art I make does not have a deep meaning I made it because it was something that interested me or something that caught my eye.

What are your expectations/goals for yourself over the next five years?

My goal in the next few years is to hopefully get a job that will help me develop as an artist and where I can use my artistic abilities.