Driven by Results: I Live Here, I Give Here

This week, let’s take a look at a nonprofit that is all about connecting Austinites with causes they care most about – I Live Here, I Give Here.  This organization partners with local charities and nonprofits to make them more accessible to the Austin residents. This nonprofit was established in 2007 and since then it has been making a tremendous impact by raising awareness about the city’s need to equally match volunteerism and funding for nonprofits.  According to their website, Austin is ranked 48th out of the 50 largest cities in the nation in per capita charitable giving.  While people are passionate about volunteering, a severe shortage of funds for local nonprofits limits the community to its full potential. I Live Here, I Give Here’s mission is to widen the culture of philanthropy by inspiring people to invest more money in our community.  They have proudly partnered with several local charities and nonprofits and spotlight specific needs in Austin each month to let you know how you can help. Currently, I Live Here, I Give Here has six lucrative programs, one of which I discussed in last week’s post, A Crowdfunding Success Story: Amplify Austin.

I Live Here, I Give Here’s online presence can be found on:

My interest to analyze I Live Here, I Give Here arose from their ability to foster a relationship with Central Texans.  More specifically, I was extremely impressed by the way they motivated the community to raise over 2 million dollars in 24 hours of online giving with their program Amplify Austin. This campaign was driven by the efforts of social media not only by this organization but also by the other participating nonprofits involved in the program.  Bundle Post founder and CEO, Michael M. Caruso, recently articulated that Social Media is Not About Engagement, but it is instead a means to achieve results and accomplish goals.  His blog post explains that engagement involves activity, which prompts a response from your audience and builds online presence. Yet, regardless of the type of organization, your involvement in social media should be driven by a specific reason – a return of investment.  The gain should be comparable to the “time, money and resources that you are spending” in the social media sphere.  Caruso sets forth a challenge for organizations to “spend less time on the methods of social media and focus more on achieving real revenue and results.” This is great advice for any organization that invests in social media.

This challenge is at the core of I Live Here, I Give Here’s mission to motivate Central Texas to invest more money in the community. Participants in Amplify Austin certainly received a tremendous return for efforts during this campaign. The success of this program is a testament to the challenges the organization sets forth by achieving “real revenue and results.”  Keep up the great work I Live Here, I Give Here!  Stay tuned…

About abehara

Studying Communication at St. Edward’s University, specializing in PR and Advertising. Born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley. Happily married and Austin resident for the past 10 years.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.