Hello there! We have come to the end of our blog, Unite for the Uterus. My name is Sarah Longe and it has been a wonderful experience to be a part of such a strong and intelligent group of women. It was inspiring to work alongside these ladies and discuss our passion for feminism. I remember when we first met to choose our topic, I had just marched in Austin’s local Women’s March. I remember feeling empowered being surrounded with my fellow fellow females and wanted to translate that passion into this blog.

My inspirations have varied throughout the years. Today my inspirations are my mother, grandmothers, and activists Terry Tempest Williams, and Emma Watson. It was hard to narrow it down to this few. Terry Tempest Williams is an American author who is from Utah, just like me! She is a conservationist and activist, using her writings to fight for women’s health, women’s equal standing in rights, and for environmental rights. Growing up in the LDS church she felt she did not have an equal say and as she explored nature and expanded her ideals she felt the need to fight for “I stand in solidarity with Kate Kelly and her plea to grant women equal standing in the rights, responsibilities and privileges of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, including the right to hold the Priesthood.” She continuously inspires through her writing in “If Women Were Birds”, where she shares her journey of discovering the pure beauty of being a woman and her journey of discovering who she is as a woman.

Terry Tempest Williams

Emma Watson has continuously fought for women’s rights. She once said, “The more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become a synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.” This is why I admire her because she understands that in order to make change happen for women we must stop the definition of feminism as a “man-hating” activists. It is not! Feminism is about equality, equality for both men and women. She continuously fights for women to have a choice of how to live their life. Everyday she speaks out about feminism or really does anything in her profession she is threatened by those who disagree and she does not let that devalue her work. I look to Emma Watson not because she is a phenomenal and talented artist, but because she carries herself with grace and force. She is not afraid to make a stand and work to cultivate change.

Emma Watson

I look to my mother and my grandmothers for instilling the values I hold dear to my heart today. These ladies taught me I can do anything I put my mind to, that if I work hard I will see results, and that it is okay to vocalize my opinion. These ladies and many more have shaped the way I have chosen to cultivate change and writing with Carmen, Katy, and Nadia on Unite for the Uterus was a great experience. Unite for the Uterus taught me how to vocalize my opinions and not only educate you readers, but also educate myself! Thank you all for following our educational journey.