Blog Post #5

I’m not in another VISU class at the moment so one of the GDES projects I’m working on is making a list of rules for creating a letterform. My rules were:
1. You just baught an Ant Farm and you’re watching as the first ant tunnels it’s way down, creating a maze for his buddies behind him.
2. Pick a letter from the Tungsten typeface and turn this letter into a hollow outline. This is the shape of your ant farm.
3. Delete 2 segments of your outline that are the size of an ant. These will be the start and end of your ant maze.
4. Starting with one of the opened ends of the letter, create a continuous line that fills the whole shape. These are the tunnels of your ant maze.
5. Make the tunnels small enough for an ant to navigate. Don’t let your line overlap.
6. End the line at the other opening of the ant farm.
Letter-final-draft---Ant-Farm  Letter-final-draft---Ant-Farm2

The question posed for this project is “how can you create a list of rules that are flexible but still have consistent results”. I gave specific rules that allow the designer to make their own style of line, but the theme of the rules imply a certain aesthetic.
1. The strongest aspect of this project is that it will translate well when we plot this using the plotter and gel pens.
2. The weakest aspect of this project in my opinion is the fact that it’s so far from my style that I don’t really like it or enjoy working with it.
3. The composition of this could be improved by evening out the lines. There are areas that are more dense and areas that are more zig-zagged and areas that are more open, etc.
4. This project could have more specific rules that create lines like mine
5. Same as number 3