header image

Technology and Music, what a great mix!

acl podcast 9

The podcast I created above expresses my feelings towards the technology I was exposed to during ACL weekend. Not only were various stations and promotional technological products, each show had its own specific lighting, video and sound. Therefore during my podcast I looked at these observations, focusing on a band named Muse to focus on how their technology had an incredible effect on the weekend.

They originally came out playing their music however there was no sound. The power cut was rather embarrassing but very disappointing for the excited crowd. They re appeared with the drummer joking that the generator had ‘ran out of fuel’. Although he joked, these problems can seem very possible to me, as you have such a huge set taking up a lot of energy. It would be interesting to know how many power cuts there were over the weekend and if ACL could maybe start looking at ways of eradicating these problems. But they reappeared with technology that blew my mind. They played their well-known song ‘madness’ that has had its fair share of radio play and popularity over the past year.

The lead singer wore glasses, sunglasses you may say, that projected an image for the person looking at them. The image in this case was lyrics and as he sang the words of the song, they appeared on the glasses. This to me was incredible, it blew my mind. As the lyrics read out and changed on his glasses he looked into the camera so the whole crowd could see, projecting the image on the big screens. It made me wonder whether the lyrics were pre set within the glasses, or as he talked they produced the image, similar to a talking systems used on all laptops. However for me, this was the big technological feet of the weekend.

Along with this I was also impressed with Samsung’s presence during the festival. They had there own sponsored stage and they were very present in between stages and around the tents. They were offering various different outlets that allowed all phones to charge their battery and they also offered Samsung users a new battery. This is a great idea as they are able to show their care and concern at the festival but also show off new phones, tablets and music devices during that charging period.

Whilst creating my podcast I found audacity very easy to use and the editing tools really helped me out. Although I wasn’t very fluent, I was able to talk about my topic in some depth. The topic was easy to talk about and I think if I had more time I would have tried to get a guest on the podcast, allowing me to converse with someone about the topic.

However I did have a lot of trouble uploading the podcast to the website. When trying to export the file and save it, the system would not allow the audio file to be saved as an mp3, therefore creating a lot of trouble for me. Even when I tried to save the file in a different place, it still wouldn’t allow me to open it or upload it, either because the software wasn’t correct, or because the file was too big. Therefore I think there should be more/further instructions at this phase. I went through various Youtube videos and I was still unable to solve my problem. I eventually found a program that allowed me to upload the podcast, so hopefully the file will work when you open it. 🙂