Mid-Term Assessment Essay

1 Where are you in your hours that you declared earlier in the semester? Looking at your work now, are your current accumulated hours enough?

Looking at the hours I set at the beginning I believe Iv kept to close that many hours if not maybe more. I also believe that the time I put into my work is efficient time to create “sophisticated” work.

2 Has your definition of “sophisticated” work changed from last semester? If so, how so? What is sophisticated in your weather report?

I originally said that sophisticated work as work that, may not be perfect, but represents a high understanding of the media used and the fine details that help the piece achieve its goal.  I still believe this to be a good standard. In my weather report, I believe the most sophisticated parts are the cohesiveness of the overall design and the movements. I put a lot of thought and worked hard to give those two parts a refined and professional look that I could see being used in an application today.

3 Describe how the new things you’ve learned so far connect to what you already had coming into the semester.

I used a lot of the information and experience from last semester in the designing of my project but I had to take concepts, like hierarchy, another step when motion became involved and opened new possibilities.

4 What are some things you are still unsure about in this project that you would like to know more about?

I mostly wish I had more experience with Aftereffects to be able to more fully utilize the program. I also had some areas I wanted to fix in the project but was unsure on how to go back into the timeline and move objects around within the time frame and without messing up other parts.

5 Assign a level of value to this project. Identify two other projects in your creative life and place this weather report relative to them. How close or far are they from one another? What qualities did each project have that the other’s didn’t that would rate them higher/lower?

I’d give this project 10/10 value for what it taught me. two other projects I could compare this one two would my typeface posters and my public location logo. When I first started working with my typeface to create posters I put a lot of work into it but I didn’t really know how to refine and polish the look I was trying to express. Working on the weather report I learned more about color, type, and space. These Ideas I took over while working on my logo for the boardwalk and in returned ended with a design that slowly became more refined as it progressed

6 Break down the percentages of what entities are responsible for creating growth within the creative you. Am I part of it? Part of it is on you, right? Do you consider your classmates/friends as influences on the course of your trajectory for success? At the end of the semester you will be evaluating me, but right now within your own pie piece, how much have you brought to the game? How did it end up that you brought that much?

Some of the biggest factors helping me grow as a creative mind would be my peers and my instructors. When I look at my classmates work and compare it my own I’m able to see where I’v gone wrong, gone differently, or maybe what I feel I did right. Often when looking at my work before I feel its pretty refined and well made but often when I get to compare, even with work that is on the same level as mine, I can see how others approached the challenges and see ideas I would like to run off of/ use to refine my own. An example would be color pallet. Often I’ll have a pallet I like but then seeing the wide range of the class, from dark, light, contrast, muted, I may decide to lighted my background. On the other hand the restricting and challenging components of my class work forces me to think out side my comfort zone and explore new ways of designing.