Post 11: Faculty Pechakucha Presentations

It was really cool getting to see some of the work that our current and future professors have done and currently doing. Each one was so different yet equally as impressive.

I really liked Hollis’ work because of the installation aspect and visual components. The use of the wood and the hanging of trash found creates such a cool large scale effect. Installations always interest me because the artist has to play to the space given verses photo or artwork that just needs to be organized. Sometimes I feel installations can fall short of the impact they were meant to give because of restrictions but, with all the photos shown, Hollis seemed to always make good on the space given and still deliver the intended emotions and feel.

Aside from here installations, Hollis’ drawings were also very detailed. Being able to master both 2D design and the more 3D design I think is really impressive and a tough skill id like to master as well.

Alexandra had the same kind feel to her art but was a little more minimalistic instead of objective. It took me a while to understand and get on board on some of her work but getting to re-look at it I find it more and more intriguing. My favorite part about her presentation though was hearing about how her art changed as her life changed. From before to after kids, and back again to more of her original work.

I envy Tammie’s strength in the abstract. The way she takes objects and crafts them into something new and whimsical is amazing. Listening to her explain how she wants people to want to touch and lick but not was really interesting. As a touchy person I can understand that feeling, and to create pieces that are meant to magnify that desire seems really fun yet challenging.

I love photography and both Joe and Bill take such amazing shots. My favorite part about Joe’s work is the raw simpleness to the photos. Often you see photography trying to be about  the extraordinary instead of the ordinary. I think though they are amazing pictures, Joe’s work is very capturing of the raw aspects of people’s everyday lives. a simple documentation of people and it’s still as full of emotion and life was more intense shots.

Bill’s way of completely losing his photos in editing is just as amazing. I found it so interesting to hear how he won even remember what photo he’d used in most of his pieces. to completely detach yourself from what in front of you and create something new with now trace back to what was there, is really impressive

My personal long term goals are to just get a job in my field of study and see what jobs are out there. I chose graphic design because I love creating posters and logos for myself and people but when it comes to what job I want I haven’t decided. My end game though is to get enough experience where I can become self-employed or part of a small free lance group so I can have more personal time to travel and see the word.