Part 1: Research Blog Post

Unfortunately I missed this passed class because I was attending an artist workshop in the Risograph Lab by Kelcey Towell, so I decided to write my research blog post over her work. Kelcey is from Little Rock Arkansa. She received her Bachelor’s degree from Saint Louis University, and her Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from the Maryland institute College of Arts.

Kelecy Towell’s lecture and workshop this past Thursday and Friday was over a stencil she created called Lettermaker. The stencil contains common shapes that are used to make up letters.  Her hope was to create this stencil so creatives and non creatives alike can make their own unique founts. This project, which began as her thesis at MICA, focused on the way that letters were made and put together. In order to create the project she had to do a lot of research over artists, stencil makers, and typographers  and create several renditions of the product itself. Towell Realized that this could be a very successful product to sell so she began to further edit the stencil. The stencil went from being a very complex piece of plastic to the very simple as it is now.

In the Workshop I was very lucky to have the opportunity to get to create some imagery and type with the stencil. Overall, I very much enjoyed using the stencil, not only did it give you parameters that allowed you to be more create but It was also a very relaxing tool to use, I would have even  purchased one if I had the money.

Part 2: Next class we will have some faculty presenters. This is your chance to ask them anything, no matter how absurd. Post at least one question on your blog. You can post more if you like. I will collate and choose some of the common questions that come up.

1. Do you like your job? If so why?
  2. Did you have an aha moment when you realized you were supposed to be a professor?
  3. Are you supposed to be a professor?