- Understand the various types of sources that you might consult when choosing a topic to research.
- e.g. news outlets, think tanks, general websites, etc.
- Think about where you might begin your search (Open Web, Library).
- Begin with a broad search to gain a general overview of a particular area or issue that interests you.
- Consider what issues are currently being discussed in the media.
It is important that you begin your search for a topic in very broad terms. Search for information on current hot topics or current issues that are receiving a lot of attention in the media. If a hot topic/current issue interests you, then search for more specific information on it to determine if it might work for your research project.
Check out the Useful Resources page for resources that will help you get started in finding a topic.