- Identify the specific, underlying social problem of the issue.
- Identify a specific policy that addresses the social problem of your topic.
- Identify specific stakeholders, their values, how their values are upheld or challenged by the policy, their positions on the issue, etc.
- Find evidence and statistics to elaborate upon the social problem, the issue, your stakeholders’ arguments, etc.
- Research the background/history of the controversy.
- Understand any related policies.
Check out the Useful Resources page for resources that will help you develop your topic.