Industry Surveys and Statistics
Quick Links: Industry Profiles & Statistics International Statistics Industry News
Industry Profiles & Statistics
Consult the “Industry References” section to access pertinent periodicals, trade association, research firms, and regulatory and government agencies.
- Bloomberg – Real-time financial market data, news, and price quotes including derivatives and many other types of data. Access Bloomberg from the designated terminal in the Munday Library near the Library Information Desk. Be sure to reserve your session. *First-time users, choose “Create a New Login” from the start page. Follow the steps, making sure you complete each field – a text message with your pass code will be sent to you. Remember your username and password for future use.
Read Bloomberg Getting Started Guide for Students
Watch Introduction to Bloomberg (1:07)
Watch Bloomberg Training – Industry Analysis from Fintute
Get Certified Bloomberg Market Concepts is accessible at BMC<GO>. BMC is an 8 hour self-paced e-learning course that provides a visual introduction to the financial markets. BMC consists of 4 modules – Economics, Currencies, Fixed Income an dEquities – woven together from Bloomberg data, news, analytics and television.
- Business Source Complete
Choose “Industry Profiles” under “Source Types” in left margin. Profiles may include: forecasts for the market, market value, volume and segmentation data, macroeconomic indicator & competitor analysis, and leading companies in the sector/industry. U.S. & International
- LexisNexis Academic Universe
Read Search for Industry Information
Contains hundreds of industry analysis reports, both current and historical, with economic, demographic, and government information compiled by economists and industry experts and features Industry Research Reports, Industry Risk Rating Reports, Global Industry Research Reports, and Business Environment Reports.
- Mintel Academic
Market research reports covering the US marketplace. Each report combines data & analysis of the competitive landscape, market-share analysis, and consumer profiles.
- Value Line Investment Survey
Choose “Industry Screens” under Value Line Predefined Lists
Covers more than 80 million companies, including private, public, and international. Information on private companies is very limited.
- Proquest Statistical Abstract of the United States
Information on: Civilian employment status by age, sex, marital status, race & ethnicity; labor force participation rates and projections, foreign born & native born employment status, veteran employment status, disabled persons employment status, self-employed workers by industry and occupation, types of work flexibility provided to employees, average number of jobs held, green goods and services, annual hourly wages, employment projections by industry, workplace violence rates, and labor union participation.
- CB Insights
For entrepreneurs: CB Insights is a venture capital and angel investment database that provides daily real-time information about venture capital and angel investor-backed startup companies, venture capital companies, angel investors and transactions in the United States. CB Insights produces data-driven reports and analyses related to venture capital, private equity and angel investment on a regular basis, including an in-depth quarterly venture capital report.
First-time users must create an account with their SEU email address to use CB Insights.
For entrepreneurs: Search thousands of private equity and venture capital deals by hundreds of criteria. Use PitchBook to establish benchmarks, find real time data on deals, identify and analyze comparables, and search investor details.
Users must create an account with their SEU email address to use the Pitchbook platform.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Industry Statistics Portal
Business data from the census bureau.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Business & Industry
Includes data collected on Economic Indicators, Foreign Trade, Survey of Business Owners, and more.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Current Industrial Reports
Monthly, quarterly & annual measures of industrial activity used to satisfy economic policy needs and for market analysis, forecasting, and decision-making in the private sector. Data on production and shipments of selected products.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Economic Census
Economic data by industry, geography, topic, & demographic data. Profiles of American businesses, from the national to the state level, organized by NAICS.
- U.S. Department of Commerce: Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
Source of US economic statistics including national income and product accounts (NIPAs), gross domestic product & more.
- U.S. Department of Commerce: Economics & Statistics Administration
Bureau within the U.S. Dept. of Commerce where economic & social changes are chronicled, understood & explained.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Contains snapshots of national (and sometimes state and regional) data for more than 100 industries, organized by NAICS.
- Statistics of U.S. Businesses (SUSB)
More than 130 surveys released each year regarding statistics for U.S. businesses.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
Business Guides by Industry & info for running a small business.
- BigCharts from MarketWatch
Access to professional research tools such as interactive charts, quotes, industry analysis and intraday stock screeners, as well as market news and commentary.
- Business Reference Services: Industry Surveys
Focuses on sources of info about industry surveys.
- Vault Industries & Professions
Research industries and professions.
- Market Research
Find the market research reports and industry analysis you need.
- U.S. Department of Commerce: International Trade Administration
Information about U.S. Federal Government export assistance programs, general export counseling, and country and regional market information.
- U.S. Commercial Service Market Research Library
Includes: Country Commercial Guides, Industry Overviews, Market Updates, Industry/Regional Reports, Best Markets, Multilateral Development Bank Reports & more.
- U.S. Export.gov
International sales, marketing, logistics, trade, and exporting information.
- U.S. International Trade Commission
Industry economic analysis and international trade info.
- globalEDGE (Michigan State University)
International business & trade info on over 200 countries, 50 U.S. states, as well as nearly 2 dozen industry sectors & many of the world’s trade blocs.
- County Business Patterns (CBP)
CBP is an annual series that provides subnational economic data by industry. This series includes the number of establishments, employment during the week of March 12, first quarter payroll, and annual payroll.
- International Labor Comparisons
ILC data are used to assess U.S. economic and labor market performance relative to that of other countries and to evaluate the competitive position of the United States in increasingly global markets.
- ILOSTAT: The World’s Leading Source on Labour Statistics
View and download data and metadata for over 200 countries or territories.