Our Chemistry faculty members gathered on a beautiful Friday afternoon (30 Sept.) to spend 2 hours with Steelcase representative, Marisa Sergnese, learning strategies for best leveraging the resources in our Steelcase Active Learning Center classroom in JBWN 206. From seating configurations to collaborative groupings to using Eno (Steelcase’s smartboard tool), Marisa shared many great ideas. Get ready students! The Active Learning Center will become even more active and dynamic in the weeks ahead. Thanks to Steelcase for the grant that supported the deployment of these resources at St. Edward’s!
All interested faculty and SI instructional staff are welcome to participate in a workshop on use of the new Steelcase Active Learning Classroom in JBWN 206 from 3 – 5 pm on Friday, 30 September. Marisa Sergnese from Steelcase will be present to run the workshop.
St. Edward’s has been selected as one of 13 winners in the 2016 competition (which included >800 submissions for a success rate of 1.6%!) to create an active learning center using Steelcase classroom furniture, with the classroom transformation (JBWN 206) facilitated by the Steelcase Education Active Learning Center award.
Execution of this grant will be led by Dr. Tricia Shepherd (Chair of Chemistry) and Dean Gary A. Morris of the School of Natural Sciences.
Look for a more detailed press release from St. Edward’s in the near future. In the meantime, you can find the press release from Steelcase on the PR Newswire here. You also can find the announcement of this year’s winners on the Steelcase website as well.
Congratulations to the entire proposal team!
- VPAA Mary Boyd for sending this opportunity to us by email on last year (see below) and for her careful read of our original draft.
- Prof. Tricia Shepherd’s POGIL for inspiring this proposal and to Tricia (Chair of Chemistry) herself for some fantastic edits to the original proposal.
- Michael Peterson (Assoc. VP of Facilities) for his willingness to consider repainting JBWN 206.
- Rebecca Frost Davis (Director of Instructional Technology) for some great adds and edits to the original proposal.
- Mary Culkin (Director of Academic Success) and Julie Sievers (Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence) for their support of this proposal.
- Alicia Vela (Director of Residence Life) and Pongracz Sennyey (Director of the Library) for their feedback on how St. Ed’s is broadly adapting and creating flexible use spaces for modern pedagogy.
- Kim Kvaal (VP of Financial Affairs) for a quick review and her good questions regarding the nature of the agreement.
- Carolyn Palaima (Assoc. Director of Sponsored Programs) and Gloria White (Director of Sponsored Programs) for a careful final read of the original proposal.
- Kimberly Griffin (Assoc. Director of Foundation Relations), who edited and updated our submission from last year so that we could re-submit to this year’s competition.