Blog Post #5

Part I:

While not all presentations pertained to my major, it was still incredibly interesting to view other students’ work and inspiring me to work harder and even possibly take some more art classes. An instance of this was when I saw Clara, the photography major’s work. While her major was not my own, it had me thinking on the idea of studying abroad and how her skills in film were applicable to photography. With Hanna, her graphic design work made me think about taking a graphic design class  since I am open to changing my major. Seeing gif work in her presentation was surprising to note as well, making me think about how much is possible in the field of graphic design. As for Michelle’s presentation, I adored it. Even if it was not my major, it practically made me want to switch my major right then and there. Art is always something I have wanted to do and seeing Michelle’s work and the opportunities she has gotten because of her skills definitely made me consider a double major or minor in art. Finally, Alexis’ presentation for IGST was a bit lackluster in terms of content, but she was passionate about what she wanted to do and helped me in finding classes that would suit my interests and skills. What I also enjoyed was that she was rather blunt about how difficult the field of video game developing could be, and that just because you played video games did not mean that it was the career for you.

Part II:

Arturo Wibawa

Arturo Wibawa’s site is charming due to the color schemes and his works being displayed on a grid system. The grid system is a huge aspect of why I chose this site, as well as the cute transition animations that occur when you click links.

Lois

While I may be biased due to the fact that that Lois is one of my favorite artists, I also picked Lois’ website over the organizational aspect of it. The sidebar that displays the link also has a small artwork on there, and the navigational links spread out to be more and more thorough. Each artwork has a link to a print below, and notes by Lois.

Awanqi 

Awanqi’s colors are displayed beautifully in the grid portfolio and while the site maintains a minimalistic feel with the links and logo at the top, the colors of Awanqi’s illustrations is what helps to form unity.

Sachin Teng

Another favorite artist of mine, what is curious to note is the difference between displays of Sachin’s personal and work illustrations. Sachin’s works are displayed in columns with thumbnails and titles, while her personal work is displayed via accordion style with hover previews. Her pixel home page is also both an exhibit of her work in pixels as well as an huge hook to whoever comes across her page.