Visual Studies Seminar Blog Post #3

One of my all time favorite artists/filmmakers is David Lynch. I consider many of Lynch’s films to be my favorites, including Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and The Elephant Man. Although all of his films are fantastic and so intriguing my all time favorite work of his is his television series Twin Peaks. I think my infatuation with Lynch’s work comes from the fact that everything he creates is so thought provoking. You have to pay close attention when watching something of his, because if you don’t you are sure to miss something big in the plot. It’s necessary, at least for me, to watch everything more than once because it never makes sense the first time. This summer Lynch released a new season of Twin Peaks after a little over 25 years of it being off the air. It was so cool for me to be able to watch this new season and interact with other fans to discuss theories and ideas about it. It was also really exciting because when the first two seasons were on television I was obviously not alive yet, so to be able to watch this season as each episode aired was so much fun and added to the experience. One of my favorite things about this series is how big the fan base is and how many really interesting and different theories there always are about each episode. Twin Peaks is a mystery horror series that also has many supernatural and surreal elements to it. It creeps me out more than it “scares” me, which I am a big fan of since most of my favorite films are creepy horror films. Along with the horror, this show also has a lots of humor to it like much of Lynch’s work. The cinematography in this series is absolutely breathtaking, but so is all of David’s cinematography. This series is flat out confusing and mind blowing, if it makes complete sense to you then you’re lying.

Below are just a few of my favorite scenes from Twin Peaks:

This scene was from the new season (season 3) that aired this summer. I think it was my favorite scene from this whole season. I love everything about it: the way it was filmed, the colors, the music. It feels really nostalgic and the way the character, Becky, smiles up at the camera reminds me of the character Laura Palmer who died in the first season.

This scene came from the last episode of the second season. This is what David Lynch left the viewers with for 25 years, and I love how eerie it is.

This is the last scene in the newest season. Again this scene makes me feel on edge, and the iconic yet haunting scream is terrifying. David Lynch ended this new season on such a confusing note again which makes me think there is more to come sometime in the future.

This scene is from season 2. All of the scenes that take place in this red room are absolutely fantastic and chilling, however this one is one of the bests because of the 25 years foreshadowing and again the frightening Laura Palmer scream.