Sustainability measures towards energy consumption

image
In my previous blog post, I discussed the importance of sustainability and my research proposal, which looked into the energy aspect of sustainability at Las Cruces Biological Station. I didn’t go into it much, because I knew I would be combining my proposal with another student’s in my program and knew it was susceptible to a good amount of change. Since that last blog post, I have combined my proposal with Anne-Marie Walker who wanted to look in sustainability measures of ecotourism sites and compare those to the measures of a research station, like Las Cruces. We ended up deciding to look at the energy use of visitors at Las Cruces and see if there is an optimal number for their station’s energy usage and if there is a tipping point that ultimately sacrifices their sustainability. A study like this could be beneficial to not only research stations, but ecotourism sites, educational institutions and sustainable organizations in general. If we are able to quantify these two measures, it would be a great development for their sustainability efforts.