In the Dark of the Forest

The tropical forest is home to some of the most diverse habitats in the world containing mysterious, majestic species. While this fact is pretty well known to most environmental science students, the only way to truly appreciate, and begin to understand the tropical forest, is by spending time in its splendor. During the past week the St. Edward’s Master’s in Environmental Management and Sustainability cohort has been applying ecological themes and theories to field research in the tropics. It took some adjusting to the climate, and the fear of unknown movement in the forest will probably never go away, but the more time I spend in the forest, the more I am forced to think, focus on my surroundings, and engage with the natural world.

These feelings are especially relevant at dark when all the senses are heightened and the forest comes alive. Adrian Forsyth and Ken Miyata wrote about the adventures and uncertainties of exploring the tropical forest at night in Tropical Nature. The forest at night is “an alien place for creatures, as tied the the light as we are, and I can never get over the feeling that we humans simply don’t belong there” (Forsyth and Miyata 186). Back in the Pacific Northwest I enjoy wandering the forest at night without a light and reveling in the solitary and mystery. In the tropical forest any sense of calm is immediately disrupted, as the forest comes alive at night. I spent much of our time on the night hikes switching between scanning the ground for snakes and jumping at every little buzzing noise. There is something truly exhilarating about being pushed outside your comfort zone and recognizing the magnitude of the natural world.

Every experience I have had in Costa Rica has helped me to develop and think about a research question for our remaining time here. The tropical forest seems daunting and impenetrable; however, we humans have no trouble destroying as much of it as we can for our personal gain. The degradation of the forest is problematic for everyone, as our fragile world is entirely dependent on the preservation of the natural world. This degradation will be felt most by the poor and marginalized, as they rely most heavily on the soils, fisheries, and forests in the tropics, and they have the least harmful impact on these systems (Conception Cruz 828). I am planning to research the connections between forest degradation, wildlife abundance, and socioeconomic status of local communities by surveying the staff at Las Cruces Biological Research Station. Over the past week, I read research articles on this topic, which helped develop my ideas. This week we will be paired with a research partner, where we can form a research question, develop methods, and begin collecting data. For now, I am planning to speak with as many people as I can, continue to explore the tropical forest, and avoid the inevitable bug bites.

Sarah Mattecheck

References:

Conception Cruz, Maria et al. Population growth, poverty, and environmental stress: Frontier migration in the Philippines and Costa Rica. World Resource Institute, 1992. Print.

Forsyth, Adrian and Miyata, Ken. Tropical Nature: Life and Death in the Rain Forests of Central and South America. Simon and Schuster: New York, 1984. Print.