A Costa Rican Almanac: Weather and Behavior – Gutierrez April 2016

The Local Forecast

It’s almost summer in Texas, and while this spring season has been pretty representative of what spring should look like, temperatures have not risen to historical averages yet. The previous winter went by mildly with no freezes in the Austin area, therefore I thought this summer would be warmer than normal, but that has not been the case at all. One possible explanation is El Niño, warm ocean temperatures in the pacific that weakens surface winds and increases rainfall over the central and eastern pacific (Mann). El Niño has brought showers to Austin that have helped plants grow and temperatures to stay down. So much water has fallen in the past year that a 6-year drought ended and the lakes around the Austin area are now filled past their capacity.

The Locals and the Forecast

“I’m feeling under the weather” – Everyone at some point

Kimstra et al., (2011) was the first to conduct research with significant results showing how weather affects people’s mood. The study shows that rather than specific characteristics of weather being the main determinant of a person’s mood, the person’s preference for the particular weather is what predicts their mood. Klimstra et al. identified three different kinds of people according to which characteristics of weather they preferred. The person’s preference for such characteristics is what predicts mood. Summer Lovers reported better mood during sunny days with higher temperature and no precipitation. The opposite was found for Summer Haters, who reported worse mood during sunny days with warmer temperatures and less rain. The third group reported worse mood with increased hours of precipitation, hence the name Rain Haters.

Weather itself impacts mood, and has far grater implications. What people do, what they eat, and where they go often depends on weather conditions. Have you ever been stuck in an airplane due to bad weather conditions? Some people might fine a rainy day to be the perfect opportunity to stay home and meditate, which has been found to positively impact a persons mood (Johnson, Gur, David, & Currier, 2015; Erisman & Roemer, 2010). On the other hand, someone who enjoys sunnier weather might get an extra mood boost from strength or cardio workout, which has also been found to improve mood (Chase & Hutchinson, 2015).

Interviews

This blog will include answers from some of my EcoLead classmates to questions meant to provide some perspective into how weather affects their daily life. The names of the people interview have been altered and they were asked to provide a picture of their animal of choice as their avatar.

Ms. Bybuzz

Describe your perfect weather and what you do on days like such.

75F sunny with a slight breeze. I like to be out in the water or in a park with a picnic, just anything outside.

How do you feel about rain?

I love rain! I like to stay inside and watch movies and feel the rain.

Ms. Alturf

Not too hot, but definitely not cold. Some sun but not too much that it will burn. I like clear skies with a few clouds. I enjoy going outside and naps outdoors.

How do you feel about rain?

Rain is good but don’t prefer it. When it rains I don’t go out and just sleep indoors.

Mr. Drackett

Overcast but not humid. I skate and eat breakfast outside.

How do you feel about sunny days?

I like it, makes the plants grow. Skate and eat breakfast, I do not mind the heat or sweating.

Conclusion

To me, perfect weather means 80F sunny and windy. On days like these I like to swim, take my dog to the park, and sit outside as much as I can until mosquitos viciously attack me. I like stormy days too but the dynamic is different. During stormy days I like to stay indoors and listen to the rain or sleep. With the exception of one of the interviewed EcoLeaders, the energizing effects of sunny weather and the more soothing and quieting effects of rainy or cloudy days. Physical activity, even though not independent on mood, is different, and as concluded in Klimstra research, a person’s preference for a particular characteristic of weather is a stronger factor when predicting mood than the actual aspect.

Understanding the effects of day-to-day changes in the atmosphere in human activity and mood are important, for they highlight the major role that weather plays in our lives. Weather affects what we do, where we go, and how we approach situations. Today, a storm disrupted travel plans, causing a delay of over 6 hours. Weather deprived me of precious sleep and of the opportunity to be outdoors in the jungle or the ocean. Instead, I spent my day inside a big building, breathing the same are as thousands others and sitting down most of the time, looking out the window to a dark, gloomy, and cloudy sky. Weather affects day-to-day life.

Picture from a gate at George Bush Intercontinental Airport at Houston, TX

References

Chase, R., & Hutchinson, J., (2015). The effects of acute aerobic exercise versus resistance exercise on mood state. Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 7, 5-16.

Erisman, S., & Roemer, L. (2010). A preliminary investigation of the effects of experimentally induced mindfulness on emotional responding to film clips. Emotions, 10, 72-82.

Johnson, S., Gur, R. M., David, Z., & Currier, E. (2015). One-session mindfulness meditation: A randomized controlled study of effects on cognition and mood. Mindfulness, 6, 88-98.

Klimstra, T. A., Frijns, T., Keiisers, L., Denissen, J. A., Rajimakers, Q. W., Van Aken, M. G., … & Meeus, W. J. (2011). Come rain or come shine: Individual differences in how weather affets mood. Emotion, 11, 1595-1499.

Mann, K. Climate.gov: Science and Information for a Climate Smart Nation. Retrieved from https://www.climate.gov/enso