Rosales, January 2015

***All photos taken at Wild Basin, in no particular order

“ I hear the tinkle of dripping water among the logs, and I fancy the skunk hears it too. “

I began my interaction with Wild Basin on a dreary day in January with a high of 46 degrees and a low of 40 degrees. My first impressions were not the best because of the weather, but I remember being grateful for being in this preserve. I am lucky enough to have a photo class based at Wild Basin this semester that has allowed me to connect two seemingly different classes. I enjoyed the feeling of being surrounded by fresh air even if it’s right off the roaring Texas highway. In my couple of outings in January I didn’t use too much technology or see much wild life. On the ride out there I became aware that this season is a great season to be out there because we will be able to hear the return of the Golden Cheeked Warbler. About sixty percent of their nests are found in Travis County. I can’t wait to be able to see the change from winter to spring, to see life to flourish in the preserve.

My class hiked down to the Bee Creek to see the waterfall and we saw a flow of milky fresh water. We weren’t too sure why the water was so cloudy, but a week later we found that the water quality was very poor and this was likely due to the construction of a hotel across the way from Wild Basin that allowed the flow of materials such as loose soil. The water was clear and fresh for my next visit, which was still a cool day that would be warm much later. I look forward to looking at the ecological side of Wild Basin father, but for now I just sit and think about this place that has been preserved and the need for places such as Wild Basin to continue to live on earth.

IMG_1664 IMG_1642

In the class hike the Blunn Creek there was such a difference between preserves. Blunn Creek definitely was not in the best shape with obvious degradation such as trash in the trees and ground. It was also obvious that there were human trails off the designated trails set up by the city probably, from homeless that frequent the trail. Unlike Blunn Creek, Wild Basin does have better upkeep which is due to funding and the natural life being more diverse in Wild Basin than Blunn Creek, but it is what you picture of a natural preserve being. Wild Basin looked more alive that Blunn Creek, though both had the sound of cars driving by in the background.

With this project I hope to become less stressed due to all the exposure to nature than I normally lack during a school year. I also hope to gain a better understanding of my own relationship to the natural world around me as well as humans’ relationship with nature as a whole.

IMG_1650 IMG_5527

Observation dates include January 12th, 19th, and 26th