AGOGLIA, NOVEMBER 2014

“We abuse land because we see it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” Aldo Leopold

This month I continued to go to Blunn Creek Preserve and analyze the differences that the cold brings to the area.  I believe that each week I go to Blunn Creek it is different and I observe new things. However, this time I wanted to find a way to get down to the creek itself. I could always see from a distance, but I think it would be exciting to get up close and see if I could see some fish. Though I chose a difficult slope to get down to the creek, I headed down as close to the water as I have been.

1

It was an incredibly clear day with the sun shining right down on the water, allowing me to see the reflection of the trees above. The water was perfectly clear, which is nice to see considering the pollution in the rest of the city. As I gazed at the water, I sat and watched the view along the creek.

2

From this view, you can see the ripples from the current as the water flows towards the large, white rock. I was surprised to see that the large rock is still in the path of the creek. Because the water is constantly flowing, I would think that the rock would eventually be eroded down but it is still standing.

In this other picture, you can see the pressure of the current by seeing the ripples in details. The rocks in the creek had a combination of different colors making an interesting contrast as you see it through water.  Next time I come back to Blunn Creek I will try and see if I can find the end of the creek.

3

As I go back home that day, I show you guys a picture of the trail I had chosen to climb down to the creek.

4

The following week I went to Blunn Creek I took a picture in which many people would wonder “What is the picture of?”

5

This is the trail that leads to the spot I go and observe my surroundings. I took this picture to remind myself of my thoughts in this picture. Since this is the first time I went during the day, I had wondered if I could feel the same feeling of serenity that I had when I went in the afternoon. To my astonishment, as I was standing in the middle of the path I could not hear a single sound except the sound of the birds above. No sound of cars or construction work could be heard. I believe that sometimes it is essential to leave the clamor and go someplace like this to clear your head and feel refreshed. Whenever you decide to come, whether it is in the morning or evening, it seems that you can always find a place to lie down and hear yourself think. Prior to starting this project, I had never thought I could discover a spot that would enable me to forget about my worries and catch some fresh air.

I leave you guys with a picture of the St. Edward’s sign by St. Edward’s Dr. Just a five minute walk from this sign you can get to Blunn Creek!

6