Trapani April

For my last blog I decided to go back to where it all began, Blunn Creek.I actually went today since I was the only chance I got due to finals. It was 2 PM in the afternoon and a slight rain had just finished passing through. It was hot, 81 degrees but felt like 95 due to the intense humidity from the rain. I thought it was interesting how much the temperature would change though through my walk. It seemed as though the higher up we were, it was much hotter, certainly this had to do with the fact that those areas got more sun. Th seasons were certainly beginning to change. In Texas spring doesn’t last too long with such high temperatures. The bluebonnets were almost completely gone, despite a few that were still hanging on. Other flowers were coming out in full bloom though…

It was also really pretty to see the cacti flowers beginning to bloom….

With so many blooming around us, the bees were buzzing around like crazy doing their job. We’ve learned in class that many species of plants depend on bee pollination in order to survive. Bees are in fact one of the most important biotic factors in an ecosystem. Here is a bee working hard…

I didn’t see too many animals this time, besides the typical birds. I did come across a nice sized lizard but he was a little camera shy. The water was nice and refreshing today, I took my shoes off and dipped my feet in. Harley on the other hand, well ya he dipped his feet in too…

No just kidding he went swimming and diving for rocks, he likes to fetch them…. I don’t know why. Nature is a mysterious thing. But I did get some nice pics of the water. I also used my special phone case to take an underwater photo in the river…

IMG_5412IMG_5413

It is interesting to see that above the water it looks so clear but underneath it, it is full of algae and microorganisms. I am sad that this will be my last blog for I have enjoyed having a reason to have to go and enjoy some time in nature. Everything I have learned in this class makes me fear what our overpopulated and developing world will do to nature and our ecosystems. My whole life my only desire has been to make money so that I may one day one a nice piece of land in a gorgeous area with many animals. Unfortunately with so much development and destruction of wildlife, I worry that my dream may never come a reality. With the knowledge I have now though I hope that I can at least do my part in saving nature.

“We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations the important thing is not to achieve, but to strive.”

-Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

…..but for now its sayonara from me and Harley James