Macias, March

Date: March 31, 2014

Start time: 5 pm

End time: 6:18 pm

Temperature: 79°F

“No matter how intently one studies the hundred little dramas of the woods and meadows, one can never learn all the salient facts about any one of them.” -Aldo Leopold

I figured that since I had been outside for three hours for softball I take a trip to the Teresa Garden and check it out. Oh my gosh, all the bluebonnets everywhere! They definitely popped out this month which gave it a really spring feeling and look. They looked beautiful. With a lot on my mind, I looked forward to just sitting down on the slab of cement, relaxing, and observing nature. To no surprise, I heard birds singing their beautiful songs, and squirrels running around. I tried looking at and counting the birds and squirrels I saw to try to calculate the species diversity just for the heck of it but then I squirrels kept leaving and birds kept flying everywhere and I would lose track of them. I was getting frustrated and annoyed so I gave up and was reading some of A Sand County Almanac and came across the quote at the top. It fit my situation so well and it made me take a step back and realize that no matter how hard I tried counting all the species I saw, there will most definitely be flaws in the study. I stopped and just appreciated and observed the nature and stopped taking myself so seriously. I loved seeing all the bluebonnets and I even noticed some plants blooming. It was such a beautiful evening because it wasn’t too hot and not too cold with the wind slightly blowing. 

unnamed-2unnamed