Graybill, February

“No matter how intently one studies the hundred little dramas of the woods and meadows, one can never learn all the salient facts about any one of them.”

I’ve been pretty frustrated with the month of February. I’m ready to enjoy warm weather. I want to be able to spend afternoons in the sunlight. Despite the majority of the month being cold, February has had some good days. February 23 was particularly nice. I spent most of the day outside reading. Nothing compares to the serenity that comes with sitting in the warmth of the sun.

I spent the first weekend of February visiting my parents in Houston. There is a pond surrounded by pine trees at the center of their neighborhood. I was able to spend some time at this pond collecting my thoughts. It was nice to be in an area that wasn’t completely encompassed by cedar trees, for once.

I went back to the St. Edward’s Wet Pond a few times this month. Mostly on days that were around 70 degrees. I have found the pond to be a good spot to get in some last minute studying before class. It’s relatively quiet, and the view from the picnic table beats being inside the library. There is a large oak tree (I think it’s oak at least) that provides shade and offers the sound of rustling leaves.

photo