For my Drawing II class we have been working on a process-based drawing. We started by sketching 10 gesture drawings of tricycles one over the other. Then overlaying shapes over, shading some parts, and continue by having a kind of “dialog” with our drawings.

In my own process I ended by developing very mechanically under a set base of rules, and from there actually developing the drawing out of what it was giving me. I ended up coloring some areas, developing some color and space relation, and there was a moment I got stuck… It was in that moment when I found out that there was a compositional, structural relation between Titian’s Venus and my drawing. I started marking the structural lines that I saw as correlation between the two works by erasing. Then I united those lines following both Titian’s lines and the ones of my drawing, like a conversation in between both works. I added texture, and then it seemed like I needed more color.

I started working local color, based on Titian’s painting, but I realized I was transforming my drawing into something completely different… It was not what it needed, it was what I wanted it to need… I tried to return to the early stage of the “erased contour” stage, but I could not make it look the same…

Here I show the different stages of the project:

FullSizeRender (1)

FullSizeRender (2)