1. How is Warhol able to turn in “off” and based upon the article does he not care about the work?

What called my attention of the interview is that Warhol, in the end, didn’t really defined his work in terms of art or design. In the end, his work was a result of both put together and was both and none at the same time. He considered his work simply objects, just “surface”.

Gretchen Berg: It’s all there on the surface then; it’s what we can see.
Andy Warhol: Well, I like – I guess, yeah.
Gretchen Berg: What do you like?
Andy Warhol: The surface.
Gretchen Berg: Then that’s all we can see; if you want to know about Andy Warhol, we just look at your paintings and your films and that’s –
Andy Warhol: Yeah.
Gretchen Berg: There’s nothing profound underneath –
Andy Warhol: No. 

It is true. Even if we, as creators, think of our creations in terms of art or design it won’t matter. Our creations are objects, productions, things. It is the ones that interact with and experience out creations the ones that will take them as a piece of art or design. Warhol’s PopArt is just that: objects for the people based in icons and familiar images. They (we) have done an interpretation out of them and gas then value, but they are just objects.

2. Why is the article relevant to the last project?

I thinks this article promotes critical thinking towards our own projects, so then it is important, but not necessary by itself. I think it must be directed towards our purposes. We’re creating “shelters”, some more conceptual than others. this article should make us question if our creations are in fact useful or not, actual shelters or not, more concept or more surface, etc. This way we can know better how to relate our work to the viewer.

Personal Reflection

1. Do you become self-conscious of your ideas?

Yes, somehow. But not enough to be a problem. I use it as a way of self-criticism, not letting it stop me from my creative process. And this goes not only to art, I apply this in all the aspects of my life.

2. What do you think of the nothing-to-lose attitude? What are it’s pros and cons?

I think that if that attitude leads you to illegal things -or even to die-, then it becomes a problem. But besides those cases, that mentality leads you to the path of “try and succeed or try and fail”; and since I consider failure as something good -because it teaches us out of our errors- there’s literally nothing to loose and everything to again.