Blog Post #6

Here is my Skill Inventory for my 5 classes.

1. The Art of Leadership through Speech

1. My greatest strengths in Speech include: My confidant voice, well rounded outlines and ability to do impromptu speeches.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: Take more time to develop my outlines and speeches.

2. History of Games

1. My greatest strengths in History of Games include: My passion for games, attentiveness and speaking/commenting on things when appropriate.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: Take more time to study and re-read chapters of my textbook even if I’ve read them before.

3. Visual Studies

1. My greatest strengths in Visual Studies include: Being able to learn from past work, being able to put lots of time and effort into my work and having an understanding of how different forms of media are associated with each other. I also am able to accept constructive criticism on my work.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: Do more research on the types of projects we do in class to get a better understanding of them.

4. Rhetoric and Composition

1. My greatest strengths in Rhetoric and Comp include: Being able to write coherent essays and papers, being able to utilize proper grammar and being able to accept constructive criticism on my work.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: Get other people to peer-review my work so i can improve my work even further

4. Rhetoric and Composition

2. For greater success in this course, I need to: Get other people to peer-review my work so i can improve my work even further.

5. College Algebra

1. My greatest strengths in Algebra include: Getting all of my work done early, being able to do mental math to a decent extent and familiarizing myself with the material.
  2. For greater success in this course, I need to: Perhaps go to the math tutoring center on campus, as there are times when the homework does confuse me.

Computer skills:

1. My computer skills include: Being able to use multiple softwares such as Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, Microsoft Office and various other programs.
  2. I still need to learn: Some higher level softwares such as game making software.

Research & writing skills:

1. My greatest strengths as a researcher/writer include: Being able to take constructive criticism, taking my time when researching or writing down everything and citing my sources.
  2. I need to work on these aspects of research and writing: Using various sources, not just a few. As well as using MLA formatting.
  3. I learn best & accomplish most when: I’m given time to process what being presented to me and looking at examples.

Part 2:

I feel as though one class I could do better in is my Rhetoric and Comp class.

Here are 10 things I would do to improve my performance in the class.

1. Read the assigned chapters of the textbook multiple times, not just once
  2. Get people to proofread my essays
  3. Get a bit more sleep, since it is a 9:30 am class, and I get tired.
  4. Work with people from the class and see how they handle the assignments.
  5. Read all of the assigned articles throughly.
  6. Email the teacher is i have questions or problems with an assignment.
  7. Meet with teacher during office hours for help.
  8. Don’t get distracted by phone while trying to write essays.
  9. Be sure to use proper grammar and spelling.
  10. Use MLA handbook to improving essays.