Blog Post #5

Part 1:

Having four upperclassmen talk to us about their respective majors of photography, art, graphic design and interactive game studies was quite interesting. As an interactive game studies major, it was nice hearing and seeing what someone with the same major has done over the last few years. However I enjoyed seeing the works of all the upperclassmen. I can’t seem to remember the names of each upperclassmen at the moment, but I’ll try to remember as best I can.

To start, the Photography major who spoke had very interesting and intriguing pictures. I loved the way she captured nature in some shots and people I others. One photo that stood out to me was the one of the three people in front a garage door and they each have a dog in their hands. I also enjoyed seeing her collages and ended up getting some inspiration for what i may do for my collages.

The art major’s work was quite interesting. I enjoyed her art style very much in her previous works, professional works and current work. I’m glad she gave out her Tumblr and Instagram at the end for us, as I want to see more of what she has posted. Hearing what she had to makes me want to get out my sketchbook and draw again. It’s been quite some time since I last drew and after today I think I’ll start again.

The graphic design major had a lot of eye-catching work and I thought all of it looked very nice. Typefaces seem very interesting and i want to look more into them. All of her work had a nice aesthetic to them and were very appealing to the eye. I hope that whole monthly box thing she talked about near the end goes well for her.

Now, Alexis (the only name I could remember) the interactive game studies major said a lot of things I agree with. Everything that has to do with our major, no matter how big or small takes work. Whether its homework for the course or what will be after graduation, you have to continue to work. And networking is important too, which is something I need to start looking into. Alexis’s presentation actually sparked a good discussion in my History of Games class right after the seminar.

While many of my peers agreed with what she had said about work and the course, a few were not exactly convinced. They seemed scared or put off by the way she described the amount of work or the things you may have to do to get some traction in the video game industry (specifically non-paid internships). But I don’t see those as bad things. Life isn’t easy, you constantly have to work. And sometimes you may put a lot of work into one thing and get no results, but thats why you keep working. You work to get those results that you strive for, the ones that inspire you. This is my opinion at least, and I feel that the few students that are worried about the work and lack of instant gratification need to step back and see the bigger picture. Because our major is not about just playing games or analyzing them. It’s to familiarize ourselves with the industry we will hopefully get into some day and be ready for what will be within it.

Overall, each upperclassmen offered me some inspiration and advice that I feel will help me on the journey that is my major. Each one did a wonderful job with speaking and I hope to hear from them again if they ever come back to speak.

Part 2:

1. https://www.niergame.com/us/ and 2. crashbandicoot.com

A two in one, but the one feature I like on both sites act the same. Both sites have a menu of some sort that lead you to whatever part you want very quickly. Instead of scrolling through you can easily click to what section you want to go to and be there.

3.  bizarreadventureart.tumblr.com

I like this site, not only because it posts artwork from my favorite series but because of how its formatted. It’s just art, plain and simple. I wish more of them had descriptions but I like the way this one is set up.

4. reddit.com/r/MortalKombat

While I don’t play the game itself, this subreddit has an amazing interface and everything is very well organized. The menu on the side is a nice touch and everything looks so uniform.