Reporting Requirements

Reporting Requirements for Credit Internships—ENGW 4350

Congratulations on getting an internship in this competitive environment.  And thanks for getting me the paperwork I need to contact your supervisors for an evaluation of your work.  If you haven’t given me initial paperwork for the internship, please do so as soon as possible.  Just scan it and email it to me, slip it under the door of Sorin 201 or fax it to 512-448-8492.  These forms are linked under “internship forms.”

Now, let me lay out for you the other requirements for the credit internship.  Most of your grade for the internship (60%) comes from your supervisor’s evaluation of your work, but because you are taking this internship for credit rather than just for experience, I will ask you to reflect on what you are doing and carry on an email conversation with me about what you see in terms of real world writing and professional communication.  Your supervisor will evaluate your work using the forms included in the internship packet I’ve sent you.  I’ll also contact your supervisor by phone and/or email during the semester.

Here are the reporting requirements for the semester (totaling 40 points of your final internship course grade:

1. eight weekly emails, eight out of the twelve weeks of the semester—20 points. You can decide when to send the emails—on Fridays? on Mondays?—but be as consistent as possible so you don’t forget.  Please include this information in your weekly emails; I’ll add questions to this basic format in my responses to you each week:  weekly emails .
  2. a  mid-term report  (reporting on progress towards achieving the goals you set for this internship)—10 points. The mid-term reflection assignment and your supervisor’s evaluation  are due around the sixth week of your internship.    
  3. a final report (reflecting on what you learned over the semester and how you would characterize the skills you gained when discussing this internship with future employers)—10 points.  The Final Reflection Report and your supervisor’s final evaluation are due during your last week of work, but be sure to get on your supervisor’s calendar ahead of time for this final evaluation.

Forms for the mid-term and final evaluation from your supervisor are posted under “internship forms.”

I look forward to hearing from you about what you are doing and what you are learning from this internship.  If you have questions or concerns about how things are going in your workplace, phone me or email me and I’ll get back to you.