This page provides information to professionals who are currently serving as or are interested in being a practicum/field experience site supervisor for MAC students. We offer two education tracks: Marriage, Couples, & Family Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling. Both tracks complete three semesters of field experience.
The MAC Program- Clinical Mental Health Counseling track is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). In Section III of the CACREP (2016) standards, practicum and field experience site supervisors must have “knowledge of the program’s expectations, requirements, and evaluation procedures for students” and “relevant training in counseling supervision.”
Site and Site Supervisor Requirements
Schools, agencies, and other organizations that are practicum and internship sites for St. Edward’s Masters in Counseling (MAC) program represent a spectrum of counseling delivery programs and services. What they all must have in common is that they meet the requirements for appropriate sites as outlined by the MAC program. These requirements are consistent with those of the Texas State Board of LPC, Texas State Board of LMFT, and aligned with the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), and include:
- to assign a practicum/internship supervisor who has appropriate credentials, time, and interest for training the practicum/internship student, including
- a minimum of a master’s degree in counseling or closely related field with equivalent qualifications, including appropriate certifications and/or licenses (i.e. LPC, LMFT. LCSW, PsyD, PhD- Psychologist)
- a minimum of two (2) years of pertinent professional experiences in the program area in which the student is completing clinical instruction
- counseling supervision training and experience
- knowledge of the program’s expectations, requirements, and evaluation procedures for students
- to provide opportunities for the student to engage in a variety of counseling activities under supervision and for evaluating the student’s performance (suggested counseling experiences are included in the “Practicum/Internship Activities” section);
- to provide the student with adequate workspace and materials to conduct professional activities;
- to provide individual/triadic supervisory contact (1 hour per week);
- Allow for audio/visual recording for faculty evaluation
- to review the Field Site Supervisor’s Manual and provide written midterm and final evaluations of the student based on criteria established by the university
- Participate in Site Supervision Training and Review Online Orientation
- Complete a Site Supervisors Verification Form
- Submit the initial SEU_MAC Site Approval Form
*Please not that students may not see clients if their site supervisors are absent unless there is another licensed clinician on site
*Beginning Fall 2019 all paperwork will now be completed electronically via Tevera (an online field placement management system).
If you feel that your site meets these requirements, feel free to complete a site approval info form and/or contact the Internship Coordinator.