ARTS-1311-03 First Reading Assignment Reflection

1. What is your personal view of the difference between the designer and the
artist?

In a short sentence: an artist expands thoughts while a designer answers thoughts. When an artist shows a piece that they have created, the general reaction is thoughts by the viewer. These thoughts can range from “What was their purpose behind this,” to “This makes me feel like _______,” among many more. Most pieces of art speak to the viewer in some way and cause them to feel a single/series of emotions. On the other end of the spectrum, when a designer shows a piece that they have created, the general reaction is a single thought by the viewer, so to speak. This thought is usually the purpose of the piece, which is the goal of most designers. The piece answers a question or shows what the viewer should think/do/know.

2. Which are you, why?

While I do not consider myself an artist or a designer, I suppose this class has turned me into a bit of both. On one side I am a designer following a direction provided by the professor, trying to answer/meet expectations for her questions/projects. On the other side I am an artist that places my own unique flair on the project, thus creating art and allowing the professor to expand her thoughts when viewing it.