GDES-3304-01 Mid-Term Assessment Essay

1 Where are you in your hours that you declared earlier in the semester? Looking at your work now, are your current accumulated hours enough?

For the most part, I am within my hours for this semester that I plotted out earlier in the semester. There are times when my hours fluctuate, so the amount of time I spend can be dictated by what needs to get done for class or my student org.

2 Has your definition of “sophisticated” work changed from last semester? If so, how so? What is sophisticated in your weather report?

My definition of sophisticated has changed slightly with my growing understanding of motion graphics. In addition to there being “layers” to the work like I showed in Graphic Design I, there is also now understand there to be a sophistication to movement. Sophistication in my weather report is shown through the combination of the “layers” of theme, purpose, and effectiveness, as well as the sophistication of motion in the way that parts and data move with a purpose and don’t distract from the overall purpose.

3 Describe how the new things you’ve learned so far connect to what you already had coming into the semester.

My technical knowledge of the design programs we use has expanded greatly in this semester. Before this semester, I understood Illustrator pretty well but had little understanding of After Effects and how it worked with illustrator. I learned the importance of keeping all the files together, and how After Effects is dependent on Illustrator. I also learned how After Effects works with layers. Just about everything I did on After Effects, I was learning for the first time. I also learned the importance of motion and how to make it sophisticated. I already understood how to make marks and I understood the importance of theme and purpose, but I hadn’t converted that into motion before.

4 What are somethings you are still unsure about in this project that you would like to know more about?

I would like to learn more about the actual capabilities of After Effects. For my weather report, I mostly imported everything from Illustrator files, but I’d like to have a better understanding of how to create on After Effects instead of Illustrator. I’d also like to make an animated character and see how the dimensional aspects of After Effects works.

5 Assign a level of value to this project. Identify two other projects in your creative life and place this weather report relative to them. How close or far are they from one another? What qualities did each project have that the other’s didn’t that would rate them higher/lower?

My weather report, compared to my symbols from last semester and my maps from last semester are all on different levels. I would say that my symbols are the strongest visually, but the weakest in terms of sophistication, but they are strong in theme. My maps are my least favorite out of these three projects, but they are more sophisticated than the symbols. They have more of a purpose than the symbols, but they also have a theme. The weather report, however, is a combination of the other two projects. Although I think it could be cleaner, and it could be tighter in the choreography of motion, I Think that It does a good job of combining visual elements, purpose, and effectiveness. Because of this, I’d say that my symbols and my maps are roughly an 8/10 and my weather report is a 9/10 when compared to one another.

6 Break down the percentages of what entities are responsible for creating growth within the creative you. Am I part of it? Part of it is on you, right? Do you consider your classmates/friends as influencers on the course of your trajectory for success? At the end of the semester you will be evaluating me, but right now within your own pie piece, how much have you brought to the game? How did it end up that you brought that much?

I think that the responsibility for my success rests equally on the shoulders of me and my professor. I have to be responsible to learn, but my professor has to be responsible to teach. My peers are also important, but not as much as myself and my professor because learning graphic design is like learning a trade. It is not the creativity that I struggle with or the ideas for content, but the technical skill. Learning new programs and how to actually make things is what is most important at this point, and it falls on me to learn and my professor to teach. My peers are more responsible for the development and sponsoring of creative growth because of critiques and peer evaluations. I have to bring an equal amount to the game as my professor does because I have to be willing to learn as much as is being taught.

Me: 40%

Teacher: 40%

Peers: 20%

Published by

lstallin

St. Ed's class of 2019 Graphic Design Major