Graphic Design II: Visual Identity

The assignment was to make a mark for the Visual Identity of our chosen places. This mark came after many iterations and recreations. Using late ‘60s psychedelic organic shapes, I incorporated the abstract ideas with the physical form of the Austin Moonlight Towers. I fulfilled the project requirements by creating a mark that is evocative of a timeless nostalgia. I used the physical shape of the Moonlight Towers to become a part of the font that spells their name, focusing on the typographic elements of the wordmark. I also chose a structural, almost industrial font to combine with the shape of the tower so it would meld even better. The process I followed was using physical and digital design. I first drew out the shape of the Moonlight Tower by hand, then drew the abstract illustrative light coming from the tower. After I scanned in the physical drawings and vectorized them. I then combined the mark of the Moonlight Tower with the typographic elements of the mark. I made the decisions of positive and negative space, using only black as the positive color, so it could be a versatile mark. It can be used as a stencil or as a sticker and can be layered onto any color or textured background. My design embodies the ideas in my concepts by fusing the conceptual with the physical. My design enhances the content by allowing the viewer to see the Moonlight Towers as impressive and important, in part, due to the emphasis on the tower as a part of the word mark, and the abstract light that emerges from the tower is evocative in a creative and fantastical way.