Ayo Math Club, Try Cookies!

Introduce yourself and establish your credibility:

Hello, my name is Lucas Robbins, and I have a particular interest in treats, specifically cookies. I’ve spent two and a half years at St. Edward’s University working toward degrees in English Writing and Rhetoric and Philosophy, specifically studying Critical Discourse Analysis, epistemology, and, peripherally, cookies.

Grab them with a good story:

Last week I attended a job fair at my university, and when I walked up to the Accounting Club’s booth I saw no treats. The Asian Pop Culture Club’s table had plenty of treats and candies and therefore kids went to the table, even the Disc Golf club had donuts, but the Accounting Club had nothing.

Present your big idea in one sentence:

I propose to you, the head of the Accounting Club, that you should buy a bunch of cookies from HEB and put them on an interest table to attract potential club members.

Give them your best two or three reasons for doing it:

This idea could be revolutionary in two ways. It would attract a greater quantity of students to your club, as free cookies always do, therefore increasing your club’s potential memberships and thus the

quality of accounting discussions and club life. It would also, in my estimation, increase the quality of your Accounting Club members significantly; Having a majority cookie lovers in any group of people is going to provide you with an increased population of students seeking out and living the “good life,” which I know of through my philosophy courses!

Mention something that distinguishes you and your idea from the others:

Other students interested in advertising and improving the accounting club will not be able to understand the rhetorical nature of my cookie strategy, as they have not analyzed discourse to the extent that I have. It will show that the Accounting Club is trying to be inclusive to students who want to have fun and relax with a cookie while also pursuing jobs and interest in the intensive accounting field.

Offer a brief cost-benefits analysis:

The cost of a box of cookies at HEB is $4.95 ($3.95 if they have the little yellow slip that discounts the box down a dollar). The savings to the overall quality of the club and the amount of students willing to pitch in on future cookie-buys will grow exponentially, possibly resulting in enough cookie buying power to provide not only the job fair table with cookies, but the individual club meeting with their own cookies. With this cost-efficiency in mind my plan has no limits to its growth.

Make sure they remember you:

I can give you a folder with my entire plan laid out as to the cost benefits, the types of cookies that work best for certain times of year/demographics of students/representations of the club, a thorough analysis of how much utility an individual cookie may provide and the implications of eating too many cookies on happiness, as well as my home-baked cookie pricing list. Here’s my business card, have a nice day!